Create downloadable backups of all your ride data, so you can have access to it outside of our service and use it as you please.
Premium and Basic subscribers have access to unlimited backups. Starter users are limited to one backup per month. There is no limit to the number of rides you can backup, but backups can only include Rides. Planned routes, gear, photos, or other data are not able to be backed up.
Start a Backup
- Log into your account on our website at www.ridewithgps.com.
- Click your Profile icon in the upper right corner > select Settings.
- Select Backups from the left side menu.
- Select “Use originally uploaded file if available” option. If you had uploaded from a stand-alone GPS device, you’ll get the original file which will be a TCX, FIT, or GPX file depending on the model of device.
- Select your preferred file format:
TCX - contains all your location and time data as well as all recorded cadence (CAD), power (WATTS), and heart rate (HR) data.
GPX - works everywhere, but does not include all extra data values that may be present. This contains only your track data and basic time metrics calculated from the track data. Does NOT contain any additional sensor data.
- Click Backup All Activities to start the backup process. It will take a few minutes for the backup to complete.
- You will receive an e-mail when your backup is ready. You can follow this link in the e-mail or refresh your Backups page to see the download links.
- Each ZIP file will contain 100 of your activities. If your account contains more than 100 activities, then multiple ZIP files will be created.
After creating a full backup and downloading it to your computer, you can create incremental backups that contain additional rides that have been recorded since the full backup.
Make sure you first download your full backup as creating an incremental backup clears the list of downloads.
- Go back to the Backups page and click the Backup Since (date) option to start the incremental backup.
- The new backup will only contain the rides that have been uploaded since your last full backup.
- Why do I have to run backups? Isn’t my data secure?
- This is just one option to allow you get all your ride data at once to do with as you please. All of your data on our servers is secured and backed-up automatically every night. If you are only worried about data loss, we’ve got this covered.
- How do I backup my Routes?
- Route backups into ZIP files are not available. You will have to open each route and export to a format of your liking.
- I created a backup, but now the link to download has disappeared. What happened?
- Each backup file is available to download for 7 calendar days. After 7 days, the backup file is deleted from the server but all your original activities are still intact.