Land in a new area and want to know where locals ride? Want to discover new routes in your neighborhood? The Ride with GPS Heatmap displays aggregated data from publicly-recorded trips and highlights it on the map, showing the "heat" generated by these activities so that you can see where people are riding, anywhere in the world. The darker color of the line, the more rides present.
Access the Global Heatmap on the web and in the mobile app. Premium members unlock the ability to use the Heatmap for route planning, and in your personal ride and route libraries on the web. Curious about the ground you've covered on your own? Take a look at your Personal Heatmap.
To enable or disable the Global Heatmap in the route planner, click on the Heatmaps menu in the upper right corner of the screen, and check off Global Heatmap from the drop down menu to enable. Uncheck this to disable this view.
Tap the Map Options icon in the lower left corner of the map, and tap Global Heatmap.
Opt In or Out of Heatmap Data.
You can opt out of having your public ride data included in the heatmap dataset at any time in your Privacy Settings by checking or unchecking the Heatmap Data box.
- Who can view the heatmap?
- Anyone can view the publicly available heatmap webpage or in the mobile app. Premium users get access to the heatmap in our route planner, personal libraries, and on Explore.
- What data was used to create the heatmap?
- We used the most recent two years of publicly-recorded and uploaded trips from public Ride with GPS users.
- Were private trips included in the heatmap data?
- No private trips were included in the data. Additionally, we excluded all trips from users who have marked their accounts as private.
- How were privacy zones handled?
- All manually created privacy zones are respected. Additionally, every trip has an automatic privacy zone created at the start and end of the trip, which means that even for users who don't use privacy zones, their start and end locations are obscured to eliminate peoples' houses and other hotspots from appearing on the map.
- Can I opt my data out of the heatmap?
- Yes. You can opt out by going to your profile settings and opting out here: Privacy Settings. You can also opt out of individual rides by marking them as private.