Navigate a planned route using the Ride with GPS mobile app. The app’s turn-by-turn voice directions will keep you on the right track, so all you have to do is enjoy the ride.
In app navigation is enabled with a Premium or Basic membership. Not sure where to ride? Use the app's EXPLORE tool to find the best routes in your area, or build a custom trip in our Route Planner on mobile or web.
- Open the route you want to navigate. There's a few ways to find a route in the app:
- Use the EXPLORE option at the bottom of the app screen to find a good route in your area, or
- Look under Library > Routes to find something you've already planned, or
- Plan a new route with the route planner.
- Tap on the route name from the list to view the map in full.
- Select the orange Navigate button to get started.
After a moment or two, you'll see yourself geolocated on the map as a blue dot. This dot will move with you as you get riding. Listen for navigational cues and keep an eye out for notifications to see where you're headed next. Turn by turn notifications will sound audibly and show up at the top of your map.
While navigating a route with the screen locked, we’ll flash the cues over the lock screen with text and voice for upcoming cue.
Missed a turn? No worries! If you stray off course, you'll hear an alert from the app and see an Off Course notification.
|If you have cellular reception, you can route back to course. Tap the reroute notification to be sent back to the closest point along your route.||Out of cell phone range, or in Airplane Mode? You'll see the direction and distance towards the closest point in the the route to orient yourself.|
Went off course on purpose, or prefer to find your own way back? Tap the X in the corner of the cue card to disable off-course notifications.
Tap the Tools icon in the bottom menu bar to access these options.
- Share: Share your ride in progress with the Live Log feature.
- Stop Navigation: This will disable turn by turn directions, but it won't stop your ride recording. This is a great option if you decide to deviate from your planned route.
- Volume: raise or lower alert and voice volume.
- Settings: Lets you set preferences for how ride recording and navigation functions. Read more about all these options in the next section.
- Auto-Pause: when enabled, this will automatically start and stop recording based on whether or not you are moving.
- Logging: Provides options for setting GPS logging intervals and additional alerts.
- Navigation: Customize how and when navigation cues sound. For more on this, see below.
- Handlebar Mode: Keep screen backlight on or off while navigating.
- Bluetooth and Sensors: connect third party Bluetooth accessories to Ride with GPS.
- Add POI: Did you come across something cool that you would like to add to your recording? Drop a POI icon on the map. Find out more about adding POI while recording.
- Route Planner: Use the mobile route planner to edit the route you are currently navigating, or to create a brand new one.
- Navigation Chimes: Choose from the Original, Hybrid or Muted chimes.
- Alert Distance: The app will automatically adjust the amount of time between the notification and the turn. You can give yourself a bit more time by selecting the EARLY option.
- iPhone Only - Speech Speed: Choose from Slow, Normal, or Fast speech.
- Android Only - Offline Storage Location: Select where maps and routes are stored for offline use.
- Advance Cue warnings: Announces next cue after completion. Right after you complete a turn, if your next cue is some distance away the app will say “Turn left in a quarter mile.”
- Nearing cue warnings: Announces cue when approaching. As you approach a turn, the app will let chime in around 10-12 seconds before the cue depending on how fast you are riding.
- Imminent cue warnings: Provides hints for the next cue when it is very close to the current cue. Example: “In a quarter mile, turn left, then turn right."
- Visual Alerts: Shows cues over the map. This option will show the cue description in a box just over the map. Turn this option off to prevent the cue description from showing.
- Audio Alerts: Emits beeps to announce cues. Turn this option off to eliminate all chimes indicating cues and warnings.
- Spoken Alerts: Speaks directions from the cuesheet. The app will use the phone’s text-to-speech engine to read the cues aloud. Disable this option to turn off the voice cues.
- Off-course alerts: Plays warning tone when off/on route. When you go off-course, the app will continue to chime at you every two minutes as a reminder that you are off course. Tap the X in the corner of the off-course notification to turn off this reminder.
This feature allows the app to keep the screen on while navigating. It also allows you to lock the navigation view in your preferred orientation.
- You must be recording a ride to use navigation. After you are finished riding you may opt to delete the ride or save it. Navigation will stop on its own at the end of a route, but press and hold the pause button to get to the save screen.
- Starting your ride somewhere other than the beginning of the planned route? When previewing your route, tap the three-dot icon in the upper right corner, and choose Navigate to Start from the menu.
- You can replay missed cues by tapping the replay icon in the right corner of the notification banner.
- Custom Cues added to the route using the route planner will be spoken during navigation.
- Tap Cuesheet from the bottom menu bar to view the cuesheet for the route.